Belgium - Brussels, what a beautiful place...
Belgium is officially the Kingdom of Belgium and is a sovereign state in Western Europe. This country is bordered by France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and the North Sea. The country is comprised of multiple geographical regions that include coastal plains, uplands, forests, hills, and gorges.
The weather in Belgium brings rain during most of the seasons. The temperatures are coolest during the month of January and warmest during the month of July.
There are three official languages in Belgium including Dutch, French, and German, but other languages are spoken as well. This may have something to do with the fact that the country has such an influence on the arts and culture in Europe. As well as the fact that folklore has played a major role in the local’s lives. There are always multiple festivals being held and they all have a religious or mythological background.
A few of the popular events each year include the Carnival of Binche, the Carnival of Aalst, the Gentse Feesten, and Saint Nicholas Day.
Belgium is famous for many things including chocolate, waffles, and French fries with mayonnaise, but they are especially famous for their beer. The entire country produces more than eleven hundred varieties of beer and has continuously had some of them voted the best beer in the world.
Here are some unique and interesting facts about the country of Belgium:
· Everyone loves going to the spa and they can all thank the city of Spa in Belgium for that word that means relaxation
· The country has the most castles per square kilometer in the world
· Three famous comics from Belgium are The Smurfs, Tintin, and Lucky Luke
· Belgian comic series have increased dramatically over the years
· Antwerp is the diamond capital of the world
· Signal de Botrange is the highest point in the country
· The North Sea is the lowest point in the country
· The Belgians invented the French fry
· The largest sand sculpture festival is held in Belgium
· Almost all Belgians live within a city – less than three percent live out in the country
· Eighty percent of billiard players use balls that are made in Belgium
· People in Belgium consume an average of 150 liters of beer every single year
Belgium is a unique country that everyone should visit at least once during their travels, especially so that they can taste the beer and the chocolate that is produced there. Those two things just makes a visit to the country even better.