The city of Aswan has been an important part of Egypt since ancient times and that doesn’t appear to be changing anytime soon. While there is a lot to see and do in this city, you never need to feel rushed. In fact, Aswan has such a laidback vibe that you may forget that you are supposed to be exploring while you are there.
One of the first things you should see is the Philae Temple, because it is the one temple in the entire country that has been preserved the best. The Nubian Museum holds all sorts of surprises, while the Aswan Botanical Garden is the perfect place to sit and rest for a few hours. If you are still ready to move later on in the day, a visit to an old souq should be at the top of your list for the evening. If you have time left during your visit, you must check out the Unfinished Obelisk and Elephantine Island, plus take a day trip to Abu Simbel.
As with every other Egyptian city, the summers in Aswan are unbearably hot! Temperatures can climb as high as one hundred and thirteen degrees in this desert area. Cooler temperatures are possible to find during the winter months, but even then, it never really goes below fifty degrees.
Most people visit Aswan during the months of November through January, because that is when the temperatures are at their lowest. However, you will find massive crowds, inflated prices, and long lines. If you want to find deals for a trip to Aswan, you must wait until June, when the weather becomes stifling.
Unique and Interesting Facts About Aswan, Egypt
· This city is small enough that you can easily walk to everywhere that you want to go.
· No one will ever be seen rushing around in Aswan, and if you do spot someone, it is guaranteed that they are not a local.
· This city used to be the gateway to Africa in Ancient Egypt.
· Aswan used to be called Swenett, which was a name that came from an ancient goddess named Eileithyia.
· One of the best things to do while visiting Aswan is taking a cruise along the Nile River. This trip offers a unique perspective on the entire city and country.
Aswan is another city that doesn’t get the recognition that it deserves. If you are looking for a destination that is off the beaten path, yet still has all the things that you want for a vacation, like hotels and Wi-Fi, Aswan is the one you should choose.